Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Iban Costume!


My birthplace is known as the Land of the Hornbills, which is commonly known as Sarawak. Majority of the  natives are made up of Iban people.

This attire I'm wearing is the Iban costume. My aunt lent it to me when I went back there for holiday. The corset, also known as rawai, is embellished with myriads of antique coins. The head wear (sugu tinggi) is not easy to put on too. Believe me, it does look nice when one is wearing the whole piece of original costume, but it's seriously heavy. It was hard to parade around with it as I was weighed down by the weight of the corset and head wear. Well, perhaps for those who are used to wear this costume, it wouldn't be that bad at all.

It's the third day of my Raya break, and I did get sufficient amount of rest. And before the day end, I would like to wish all the Muslims a very Selamat Hari Raya! (:

1 comment: